Thursday, April 27, 2006

Cracked it…

I’ve cracked the Tom Yam Gai mystery.

I make this cheap supper with chicken wings now and again. Basically it involves getting a load of chicken wings, rolling them around in some sort of marinade (olive oil and lemon, or honey, or current favourite sesame oil and sweet chilli sauce) before bunging them in the oven until they are starting to go black and sticky. I usually eat them out of a bowl with a salad. It costs about a quid so makes a great mid-week supper.

Anyhow, last time I made it I was even more frugal and made a stock out of the bones – this was the stock that went into the super duper Ken Hom-beating Tom Yam Gai the other week. Making stock again today I’ve just realised the difference it makes. The stock is much darker and deeper. I reckon with nice fresh spears of lemon grass I can knock out another Ken Hom-beater for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: