Sunday, May 20, 2007

Guilty Pleasures…

Despite my usual moral high ground stance to food, there is the odd thing that slips through the net. These guilty fixes of trashy processed crud that would normally be met with a cynical barracking, and some half baked theory about why they spell the end of civilisation as we know it etc.

For some reason, and only when I’m abroad, I have this weird penchant for La Vache qui rit – also known as the laughing cow cheese:
http://www.lavachequirit.com/la-vache-rouge/fr/accueil.html Each little cheese comes individually wrapped in a foil triangle, rather like those filthy little Dairylea triangles that we get in the UK. I really have no excuse for eating this rubbish, back home I would have recoiled in horror at the disc-shaped cardboard boxes, but here for some reason, the cheerful cow draws me in, and I find myself standing in front of the fridge at 5pm stuffing one of the salty little triangles into my mouth, rather like a boy who has just got in from school.

Next up are Biskrem. These where recently recommended to me by a Canadian friend, and I’ve subsequently noticed that you seem to be able to buy them all over town. What my Canadian friend didn’t warn me about was that Biskrem contain a secret ingredient which seems to be more addictive than crack cocaine.
http://www.ulker.com.tr/ulkerportal/en/products/product_group/default.cfm?id=39&sayfa=11

Biskrem are a sort of sugary cookie, filled with chocolate cream. They have the advantage of not melting in the heat here, while providing a fairly legitimate crunchy chocolate fix. A packet of these boys won’t last a day in our house. I was going to take a photograph of a packet to post online, but by the time I got to the fridge it was gone…

P.S. Is it me or is the new blogger/google relationship more trouble than its worth? I can't seem to log in smoothly, and my dashboard comes up in French, even though I have set it to English... comments / recommendations for alternative sites welcome please!

2 comments:

Dave Licence said...

Hope Rwanda is treating you well.
I've 'tagged' you - see http://davelicence.blogspot.com/2007/07/eight-things-about-dave.html
Don't blame you if you don't join in :-)

goingspatial said...

Depending on your service provider - google and all it's little tools (Google Maps, Office, Blogger etc) will default to that country's regional settings. It is trying to be helpful (I think).