Monday, March 31, 2008

Goodbye Kigali

Its my last night in Rwanda. The report is done and the fatigue is starting to creep up my back. Just enough left in the tank to graab a quick shower, and leg it into the bar to see my colleagues off over a selection of Chez Lando's finest bits of meat on a stick washed down with Mutzig after Mutzig.

Probably the wrong time to discover that Chez Lando does the most amazing tilapia brochettes. AFTER THREE MONTHS OF EATING DRECK. Bastards.

Fatigue finally slips its hands over my eyes and I enjoy a drunken lie in before the plane to Nairobi.

My colleague BKo and I face a dilemma: 8 hours getting shitfaced on South African plonk in the Nairobi business-class lounge, or take a taxi into town, meet a couple of mates for some Tusker and grab a bite to eat. Thankfully we take the latter option and head for the magnificently unpretentiously-pretentious Fairview Hotel (www.fairviewkenya.com). Its almost 10 years since I was last in Nairobi, and things have changed. Tusker tastes better than I remember for a start.

At the fairview we order from a somewhat disorganised menu and I tuck into a platter of sushi bites. After three months in culinary purgatory the first taste of wasabi comes as a warm shock to my lips, the scent of lifejacket-red ginger temporarily nips my fatigue in the bud, and the first meaty morsel of octopus sashimi makes me grin from ear to ear. Tuna Nigiri melts in the mouth and pairs surprisingly well with Tusker.

Only 8 hours folded into three on Kenya Airways and I'll be back in the UK. The first thing past my lips will be a cheese savoury.

No comments: