Monday, January 05, 2009

Looking back over the year

Perhaps this is just lazy blogging, but the British newspapers like to do end of year round ups, and I quite enjoy reading them. So apologies for the sense of deja vu, normal service will resume shortly.

I've been blogging on jifflings for three years now, and 2008 had a really different feel to it. This wasn't through design, more a change of circumstances. The first year or so had me living in Manchester, commuting to see Mrs Jiffler in North London, and cooking up all sorts in the kitchen. It was in some ways a more personal kitchen diary. After a few months hiatus in 2007 I got back on the jiffle-wagon with a strange report from Morocco, which kind of set the tone for 2008's restaurant reviews and culinary travelogue. Jifflings is still food first, but a travel element has crept in and made itself at home.

2008 saw posts from London, Cambridge, Anglesey, Dakar, Hanoi, Hong Kong, Kigali, Nairobi and Lisbon. Street food, a michelin starred restaurant, one of Gordon Ramsay's eateries, and even a garden centre came under scrutiny. I also started Dakar Restaurant Reviews, and the bizarrely popular Kigali Restaurant Reviews, which featured on the Guardian Website.

I'm not sure I can keep all this travelling up in 2009 (although I'll be kicking off in Holland, and am going somewhere really weird in Feb), and there simply isn't time to review every restaurant, write up every recipe, or rant every rant. This year I'd like to start a new project I've been thinking about called 'In defence of British cooking' (George Orwell won't mind I'm sure). Since I've already three sites on the go I might have to limit this to a monthly post on jifflings along with all the usual stuff. New year's resolution is to put more photos up on Jifflings. Let's see how it goes.

Anyhow, big thanks for reading in 2008. Happy new year.

No comments: