Monday, January 16, 2006

Monday 6th

Monday 16th

Mrs Jiffler was busy yesterday evening baking so my journey back to Manchester on the Pendolino is made more bearable by a bag of baked confections. Smarties cookies have a crunchy bite to the crust, while the inside is a more yielding treacly texture. Two rich slices of Honey Cake leave a pleasing smell in my bag. Honey always reminds me of being a child, even though I was always more of a marmalade fan.

On the train I resolve to do a ‘big shop’ in the evening. I haven’t done a ‘big shop’ since Christmas, and it seems worthwhile since I’m in Manchester for at least three weeks. The basil plant on my windowsill finally expired over the Christmas break so that is replaced and some parsley added for good measure.

With a fully stocked fridge the evening meal options are many. I had some lean lamb put through the mincer at the butchers with the intention of making burgers tonight. I make three mini burgers with bits of spring onion, fresh coriander, and garlic in and they go down a treat inside warm pitta bread.

In a moment of supermarket impulse buying I bought a tin of artichoke hearts. What the hell am I going to do with them?

No comments: