Thursday, January 26, 2006

Thursday 26th

Essay hell once again. I decide to repeat last weeks stir-fry since it is perfect essay writing food. When you’re in essay writing mode a stir fry is ideal as it is quick and pretty healthy, and provides just enough mindless chopping and stirring distraction for 20 minutes or so to take your mind off things (compared to say, bunging a pizza into the oven). This time I throw in some pak choi from the stall up the road. Good pak choi always look kind of velvety, before turning the deep green colour of mature rice paddy when its in the pan. I’m glad I’m not in the pub tonight with the Corduroy Boy though, as the pak choi has induced some serious farting.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who has pondered ‘ I wonder what the Smurfs are up to’. You rarely see them on the TV these days, and it would be nice to find out how they’re getting on.

Have a look at the official smurfs website:
www.smurf.com - I’m really pleased to see that the little blue chaps are still working hard, mostly on continental Europe. They are particularly popular in Belgium, where they are worshipped like gods. A recent Unicef campaign raising funds to help child-soldiers in Burundi featured the normally peaceful Smurf village being bombed. Apparently this was supposed to make an impact on today’s adults who grew up with the Smurfs. I shit thee not…
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/10/08/wsmurf08.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/10/08/ixhome.html

Another good read is ‘Socio-political themes in the smurfs’ (
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Cinema/3117/sociosmurf2.htm), where some gimp discusses the issues of Marxism, feminism, and homosexuality in the smurfs.

I wonder who would win in a fight between a smurf and a womble…

No comments: