Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Tuesday 24th - Sorting out the Artichokes

Lets sort out these artichoke hearts then. The can says they are the produce of Spain, which prompts happy memories of eating tortilla de patatas made with the addition of salt cod in a cider house in Pamplona. I’ll try and get some photos of that place for the blog, I think they are on Mrs Jiffler’s computer.

Anyhow, the tortilla forms the basis of how I’m going to use some of these artichoke hearts. They’re kept in brine in the tin, so I give them a good rinse. The hearts will substitute most of the potatoes (I finely dice a small one for good measure), along with flakes of two smoked mackerel and a handful of chopped red pepper and spring onion for some colour.

The bit I most enjoy about making a fat tortilla is using a plate to flip it over in the pan, it adds a bit of physicality to the whole experience, and if you get it wrong then there isn’t really any going back. The omelette will be on the floor or down the front of your trousers…

The fish combination works. Texture-wise the fish and the eggs soften and harden respectively and meet the artichokes in the middle. The fish’s strong flavour permeates the egg and the oil nicely, but thankfully doesn’t overpower the artichokes.

I’m reliably informed that I shouldn’t use the term ‘Spanish Omlette’ to describe anything other than the spuds and eggs variety. I don’t care much for the semantics, but I won’t piss in the gazpacho, I’ll name this dish: Mackerel and Artichoke Jiffle.

I picked up some figs from the stall. I’m not sure where they have come from at this time of year, probably North Africa. They are the greenish variety with the pale grey dust on the skins. Unfortunately they are disappointing, lacking sweetness despite being well ripened. I leave two in the bowl and resolve to hide them in tomorrow’s breakfast so as not to let them go to waste.

There are still some artichokes left over in a tub in the fridge. Experimental salad for lunch tomorrow I reckon…

No comments: