Monday, February 06, 2006

Friday 3rd February

I arrive in Bangor starving and my mind is occupied on the short walk to 3stan’s house with anticipation of the lining of the stomach at the (original) Fat Cat. A warm welcome from 3s, who suggests trying the food at the Harp for a change. The Harp has undergone a steady transformation in recent years from grotty old man’s venue, into a well managed pub with a good range of real ales. Since I’ve never eaten there before I jump at the chance to play at being a food critic.

The menu is extensive, and one has to look beyond the lunchtime baked spuds and toasties fare to get the real eats. 3s goes for a beef and ale pie, while I go for the Friday special of halibut and leeks (local and seasonal). I correctly anticipate that the specials will have gone by lunchtime, and so have to switch for the Abbeyfield chicken. Oh, and two pints of well kept Abbott ale.

3s pie is serious stuff. None of this microwave-in-a-bowl nonsense. It’s a hearty slice with a sweet gravy. Chips are reassuringly chunky, and peas are, well, peas.

My Abbeyfield chicken is a recipe the chef has brought with him from another Bangor pub called the Abbeyfield. Its 3s recommendation as he appears to be in the know with the proprietors of the Abbeyfield, the Chef, and the manager of the Harp. Strips of chicken come with onions and mushroom and served in a creamy sauce over basmati rice. Simple enough, but the quality of the ingredients, and careful cooking speak for themselves. We share a bowl of seasonal veg steamed until al dente, making a change from the super hot, fresh from the microwave carrots that so often arrive on the table in pubs (and in some of Anglesey’s pricier restaurants).
3stan and I have an ongoing and informal tradition of buying each other dinner alternately when I visit. Today is my turn and I’m pleased to see that the whole lot, with some beers weighs in at less than twenty quid. Pretty much what we’d spend on a something a bit less special at the Fat Cat. Bellys lined we hit the town.

No comments: