Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Tuesday 21st


Raining today, and I'm working from home so I have to find a really good reason to drag myself out for a constitutional. There is a toothpaste shortage, so I get the brolly out.

There are some mushrooms left, and loads of stock, so I set about making a kind of Asian influenced soup. The mushrooms sizzle briefly with some red chilli in some sesame oil, before some cherry tomatoes go in (no reason other than I have some in the fridge) and the leftover stock. This stays simmering for as long as I can stay hungry, with the occasional dash of soy sauce, tom yam gai, Tabasco etc going in whenever I feel twitchy. Right at the end I throw in the (still substantial) leftover chicken pieces.

I boil up some egg noodles and pile them in a bowl before pouring the hot soup over the top. A quick inspection of the windowsill reveals a herb shortage of near crisis proportions, so I have to go without any. It still looks good though, and tastes perfect for a rainy day, despite much of it going down my chin.

No comments: