Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Laptop is fixed

Its been a while, due to the laptop being repaired. Apparently it had ‘Dead Pixels’ which I originally heard as ‘Dead Pixies’. Imagine that. There has been a general amount of hard work going on as well…

Food-wise, the last few weeks have been a bit variable to be honest. I can’t say I’ve been eating particularly healthy as I’ve been trying to run down the stocks of ‘heavy foods’ in my cupboard and freezer so that I can, this week hopefully (perhaps when the clocks go forward) break out some lighter summery recipes that will hopefully help reduce some of my summer ‘padding’.

Anyhow, highlights of the last couple of weeks have been a couple of low budget Chinese meals, a buffet at Salford University’s ‘International Party’, which featured stuffed vine leaves (a treat that I haven’t had for years) and a surprisingly seasonal selection of salad leaves (mostly one gets iceberg and lettuce and rubbery tomatoes at these things).

The buffet lunch at an Environmental Conference was more disappointing. Apparently it was all fair trade food – well done – but it lacked variety and… er… taste. One highlight was the girl who was dishing out mini-cheese and onion pasties… only they were Cornish pasties (my first ever fair trade Cornish pasty! What next? Fishfingers?). It actually took quite a while for some of the assembled vegetarians (many, since this was an environmental conference) to twig that they were eating meat. It took two pasties in the case of one woman - probably the best thing she’s tasted in a good while…

Why they always give you stodgy food that makes you sluggish and flatulent at conferences?

There has been a lot of black pudding consumed this week as well. Thankfully its all gone now. I had some the other night with slices of Williams Pear gently fried in butter. Trust me, this is a marvellous combination if you’ve got an odd link of pudding and fancy a quick lunch. It’s the sort of thing that you’d get charged eight quid for as an ‘unusual’ starter somewhere swanky.

Lastly I was in Hull for 50 minutes changing trains after visiting the planning office in Beverley (I know, living the dream). I was secretly glad to have such a long stop-over in Hull as I’ve never been there before and I thought it would be nice to have a pootle around, check out the unique white phone boxes, and maybe buy some fish. See I thought that with Hull being by the sea (or on the estuary at least), and having something of a seafaring heritage, that there would be a fine choice of seafood on offer to a passing jiffler.

Sadly not. Only one proper chippy as well and that was closed. Plenty of places to buy pies and pastry products – a veritable buffet city. Bugger all in the way of fish mongers though, even on Fish Street…

No comments: